These factories once lined the St. Joseph River, on the West Race of the river. Oliver plows got their start in 1855 in a brick building. Birdsell clover hullers, invented by John C. Birdsell, were manufactured in a building starting in 1864. Singer Sewing Machine Manufacturing, Indiana & Michigan Electric Power Company, Stephenson Underwear Mill, and virtually hundreds of other industries that relied on water to power their machinery lined the St. Joseph River during the nineteenth century. Donated by Mrs. A.W. Fisher.
The West Race - Birdsell
Send this to a friend