topimg

Meyer’s Hardware

Location: 107 W. Jefferson Blvd., South Bend

Founded by Godfrey E. Meyer (1823-1901) a native of Bavaria, Germany, trained as a metal-worker who emigrated to the United States in 1853, in partnership with Gottfried Poehlman.  Specializing in roofing craftsmanship with contracts on many public buildings including the Oliver Opera House, Elkhart Opera House and the Auditorium.

 

In 1893 Mr. Poehlman retired and his interest purchased by John V. Meyer (1856-1920) under whose proprietorship the firm expanded into an enlarged hardware and sheet metal shop location at 107 W. Jefferson Street.

 

In 1930 John Meyer Dunnuck, great-grandson of the founder, entered the firm and engaged it into new fields as the first distributor in South Bend of Scott’s Lawn Products, Delta, and Skil power tools.  In 1957 the firm joined the True Value cooperative buying group.

Please Note

Users may download material displayed on this site for noncommercial, educational purposes only, provided all copyright and other proprietary notices contained on the materials are retained. Unauthorized use of the Northern Indiana Historical Society d/b/a The History Museum’s logo and Web site logo is not permitted. The contents of this site may not be used for commercial purposes, without written permission of the Northern Indiana Historical Society d/b/a The History Museum. To obtain permission to reproduce information on this site, submit the specifics of your request in writing to Director of Marketing & Community Relations, The History Museum, 808 West Washington Street, South Bend, Indiana 46601 or If permission is granted, the wording “provided with permission from the The History Museum” and the date must be noted. However, permission is not required to create a link to the The History Museum’s Web site or any pages contained therein.

Scroll Up
Send this to a friend